Name: Finlay Grant
Course: Jewellery & Metal Design
University: Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, University of Dundee
FROM THE JUDGES
Finlay Grant from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design for “Splash”: Strong visual communication and a wonderful interpretation of concept went into creating this colourful, unique work. The judges are particularly keen to see how additional precious metals feature in future.
Design a piece or suite of silverware to be used or displayed as a centre piece at a formal evening event after all restrictions have been lifted. Your piece(s) should celebrate a person or group of people who have inspired you over the duration of the pandemic. You are encouraged to interpret this in any way that
allows you to produce a unique and distinctive silverware centre piece.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
As a competitive swimmer for 9 years, Finlay Grant considered the colours, shapes and patterns seen in swimming pools. Exploring photographs of tiles lines distorted by water sparked inspiration, and Finlay wanted his work to convey as sense of depth and transparence.
- A £250 Goldsmiths’ Centre voucher for you to spend on any of our short courses. In order to help you decide which to choose you will meet one-to-one with the Professional Training Team to discuss your career aspirations and to help you plan your next steps.
- Following the meeting we will provide you with a recommendation and a tailored choice of courses that may be suitable for your needs. It is then up to you to decide which of our short courses you wish to spend your £250 voucher on.
- You will be invited to take part in an intense one-week introduction to business course in 2022.
- A one-to-one session with Goldsmiths’ Company’s Library Team to support your research and design development now plus access to the Goldsmiths’ Company Library and Archive’s unique resources now and in the future.
- A Laser AND Punch Hallmarking Package for free from the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office. This means you can choose whether to have your hallmark applied by laser or punch each and every time you send your work to us. (Usually a student registration is only laser registration). This unrivalled
package comprises a 10-year registration and laser software set-up in preparation for laser