One Year On is an exclusive opportunity for this year’s top emerging designers. It’s your chance to showcase your work to the design industry, press and design consumers.
When applying, please remember you don’t have to be a recent University graduate or have previously exhibited at New Designers to be eligible to apply.
Step 1 – Sell Yourself!
Think about how you describe your work as this is your opportunity to show the selection panel why they should choose you. Make sure to include –
- A clear description of your work, short and snappy, imagine writing it for marketing purposes.
- A written statement explaining why you have applied for One Year On and what you want to get out of it.
- A short statement to explain the thinking behind your work. This should give the selection panel enough information about your work, your inspiration and any relevant techniques and materials used.
Step 2 – High Quality Images
Don’t allow photography to let your application down – the judges are unable to touch and feel your work, so it is very important that you supply well photographed work as it is from these images that you will be selected.
Include high res and low res versions of each image in jpeg format.
What makes a good image?
Photographs sell your work – and you need to make sure you present it in the best way possible.
- Background – should be clean and free from clutter
- Images – should be the whole piece; if your work is very intricate a selection of detail shots are also good to have
- Avoid – including people in photographs unless they are beautifully styled and high-end
- Invest – in professional photography if possible
The stronger your images are the more likely they are to be used by the media, so clearly shot, sharply focused and well-lit photographs are essential!
Visit our Facebook page for a gallery of high quality photography examples.
Step 3 – Timing
Make sure you give yourself enough time to gather all the information required to complete your application in advance of the entry deadline: Wednesday 31 Jan 2018.
Do not leave it till the last minute then rush through your application as once you submit it you will be unable to make any amendments!
So now you have all the tools you need you can submit your application!