With just 1 week to go until the application deadline, we have put together our top tips to be in with a chance of being selected for One Year In 2019.
One Year In presents the year’s most exciting design talent. The pre-show mentorship programme gets your business market-ready to exhibit at the New Designers exhibition. Expertly curated, you’ll receive the guidance and help to make your business a success. One Year In is an exclusive opportunity for this year’s top emerging designers. It’s your chance to showcase your work to the design industry, press and design consumers.
When applying, please remember you don’t have to be a recent University graduate or have previously exhibited at New Designers to be eligible to apply.
Think about how you describe your work as this is your opportunity to show the selection panel why they should choose you. Make sure to include –
• A clear description of your work, short and snappy, imagine writing it for marketing purposes.
• A written statement explaining why you have applied for One Year On and what you want to get out of it.
• A short statement to explain the thinking behind your work. This should give the selection panel enough information about your work, your inspiration and any relevant techniques and materials used.
HIGH QUALITY IMAGES
Don’t allow photography to let your application down – the judges are unable to touch and feel your work, so it is very important that you supply well photographed work as it is from these images that you will be selected.
Include high res and low res versions of each image in jpeg format.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD IMAGE?
Photographs sell your work – and you need to make sure you present it in the best way possible.
• Background – should be clean and free from clutter
• Images – should be the whole piece; if your work is very intricate a selection of detail shots are also good to have
• Avoid – including people in photographs unless they are conveying the function of an object
• Invest – in professional photography if possible
The stronger your images are the more likely they are to be used by the media, so clearly shot, sharply focused and well-lit photographs are essential!
Make sure you give yourself enough time to gather all the information required to complete your application in advance of the entry deadline: Thursday 31 Jan 2019.
Do not leave it till the last minute then rush through your application as once you submit it you will be unable to make any amendments!
So now you have all the tools you need you can submit your application!