The Worshipful Company of Weavers
- Week 1
The Worshipful Company of Weavers is the oldest of the City of London Livery Companies. Its earliest Charter, in 1155, confirmed the Company’s monopoly of its craft and rights of supervision of craftsmen in the Cities of London and Westminster, and the Borough of Southwark. With the growth of the Industrial Revolution the Weavers’ Company gradually lost active control of its trade, although it has continued to keep in touch, both through its educational work and through its members, many of whom remain connected with the industry in one way or another. In the 21st century, the Weavers’ Company seeks to build on almost nine hundred years of involvement in the craft and manufacture of textiles, especially weaving, through its Textile Education Fund. The main aims and objectives of the Fund are to encourage excellence in all spheres of the United Kingdom woven textile industry by identifying, supporting and nurturing exceptional students during their training; to sponsor young talent working within the industry; supporting centres of excellence in textile education; and finally recognising and working with those who have made the most significant contribution to the industry.